Friday, August 21, 2009

Robotic

This past week, I was “out and about” (code for attending or working some other trade show) and I could not help but notice what must be a trend – robots! There were robot products and images all over the place. Where is this coming from? I saw little robot key chains, images of robots on t-shirts, paper products, tote bags - and more. All the products were meant for adults, but the robots had a certain look to them – they were kind of cute, not scary. And most of the robots I saw had square heads, not the round-ish head like that of the robot on the classic TV show “Lost in Space.”

Today, we received an exhibit space application for the NSS from a company with something like robot paper dolls (3-D). This product is meant for kids, of course. Look for it at the National Stationery Show in May 2010 – the company who makes them will be getting a booth.

Has anyone else spied this trend out in the market? Where have these robots come from? I thought the craze for robots that rose from the movie enterprise that brought us cute little R2D2 had run its course (for now). Has “The Robot” dance made a comeback and no one told me? Are we being invaded? Is this some social commentary on how technology has affected the population at large? (Just kidding).

I feel a bit like a robot today, (Friday), after having been away from my desk for a solid week! I'll be back to my usual self on Monday, and I can promise you, I'm way too "animated" to ever be called robotic!

Have a great weekend and a good week ahead!

Until next time -

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment