Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Twist on Halloween Traditions

Earlier in September, I attended the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo, NY, for the first time. For those of you who have never heard of it, the Renaissance Faire is an escape back to the days of Shakespeare and court jesters, knights and dragons.


The days when there were no words like “computer” in the dictionary. Wait – did they even HAVE a dictionary? Anyway, being there and seeing all of the colorful, detailed costumes got me thinking about Halloween and the past Halloween parties I’ve thrown.

Although I’m not throwing one this year, I have hosted some fun Halloween bashes! Parties filled with skeletons and bats, glow in the dark lights and spooky music – year after year my collection of decorations grew. Like many holidays – traditional Halloween images haven’t changed much. Pumpkins, bats, ghosts, skeletons and witches are always a hit. And, the scary masks, animal costumes and trick-or-treating door-to-door are perennial favorites. But so much has evolved; there are twists on the traditions that are so much fun!



Growing up we had plastic pumpkins or D.A.R.E. bags to tote around our treats. These days’ kids have a few more options!Peaceable Kingdom Press has created a glow-in-the-dark goodie bag (safety and fun all in one – something my mom would have liked!)











Want to be a bit more fashionable? How about Groovy Holidays’ felt bags? I think I would probably use this bag for more things than trick-or-treating!














When I threw Halloween parties, I couldn’t find any invitations that I liked, so I made them myself on the computer. Not only did it take a long time, I often ran out of printer ink along the way. Companies like Picture Perfect would have solved my problem quickly – Halloween invitations for kids and adults that are fun and easy to read.




These days everything is about customization and personalization…anything you can come up with! So, if I want my napkins and cups to read something like these below, all I would have to do is order them from Print Appeal and *like magic* – I have the perfect table settings!












So for the party I am not throwing, there is only one thing missing…something no one will expect (it’s Halloween – it’s a must for all parties). I think these nametags from Groovy Holidays will work:



What about those people, like me, who are not throwing a party? Well, these days – no holiday is complete without the perfect greeting card to help acknowledge it. There are many great companies with fantastic cards. I am personally not able to pass up Up With Paper/PopShots Studio Halloween cards. They’re cute, they set the mood; they’re a party all in themselves!







And last but not least…what’s the best thing to send a friend that couldn’t make your party? Or, a distant relative that can’t see you on Halloween? A picture of what they missed! We often see personalized cards such as these for winter holidays, but did you ever think to send one for Halloween? Picture Perfect did.




So, all you need to do is go out and find yourself a costume. I’d love to hear what you’re going to be. Let me know! My husband and I are going as Alvin and Brittany from Alvin and the Chipmunks. Now all we have to do is find a party to crash…

Until next time,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment